Monday, January 16, 2012

Orly Androgynie

Orly Androgynie, 1 coat layered over a black base.  Androgynie is a black jelly with glitters that shift cyan-blue and blue-green-orange.  There are also fine holographic glitter and gold flecks of shimmer.

I can't believe I was going to pass on this polish.  A lot of bloggers have mentioned that Androgynie isn't as promising on the nail as the bottle suggests.  While this is true, it is possible to make this polish work with a few simple steps.  Read on to see more!


As you can see, the bottle shot is pretty amazing.  However, when you apply the polish you only get one or two glitters per nail.  Polish Insomniac already wrote a post on how to make this look good, which was the same as what I did.  However, I did add one more step.  Here's what I did:

  1. Store Orly Androgynie upside down.  This will keep the glitter from settling to the bottom and evading the grasp of your brush.
  2. Apply a base color before layering Androgynie over it.  I used 2 coats of Sinful Colors Black on Black.
  3. Only use 1 coat of Androgynie over the base color.  The base of this polish is pretty pigmented/thick, so it will cover up the glitters from your previous coats.  Instead, if you would like to add more glitter, go back and dab some on to any empty spots.  The glitter should be easy to pick out if you stored the polish upside down.
  4. Here's the extra step I took.  Use a top coat or a clear polish that is thin and watery.  I used Orly Quick Deep-Dry topcoat.  I'll review this later, but it's anything but quick dry and has a knack for smearing dry polish.  Now it's good for something!  I used this over just the glitters in short strokes to smear the base away from the glitters.  It doesn't take long and few short strokes will do the job.  I think Wet n Wild Clear Nail Protector will work as well, since it is has a thinner formula.
  5. Finally, I finished off with a coat of my favorite Seche Vite.  Enjoy!
Here are some more pictures. 





It's really gorgeous out in direct sunlight, but a bit more muted indoors.  I only wish there were more gold flecks to this polish and that the holo glitter was more visible.  I guess I should just be happy that I got the big glitters to show.  Overall, it's a nice polish, but you have to be willing to work for the results.

What do you think?  Do you have any tricks for applying this polish?


Liz

25 comments:

  1. I love this!! such a great look.. x // http://yolandaas.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is awesome! I guess it worth the effort of going to all these 4 steps in order to make it look this amazing! Great job, Liz! Big hugs!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. This color is great! I hate when polish looks amazing in the bottle and it's so hard to translate to the nail!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing! I bought this but haven't worn it yet. I will be using your techniques for sure! It looks so pretty on you. I think it's worth the work for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm going to try it out your way. I started already by flipping my bottle upside down...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't even think of applying this over a black base. Genius! I am also going to try using thin top coat to "clean off" the glitter.

    Your photographs show this polish as I had hoped it would be, when I bought it. Thank you for this post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this polish and glad I nabbed 2 bottles. It was gone from the Sally's I had access to when it came out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ditto the other commenter - I will put this over black next time. I had worn it over a silver during the holiday but it reaches year round over black, deep blue and some other things yet to be discovered I would think.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hate that too! I'm glad that this one can be redeemed with a little work though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks! I think it's worth the work as well, as the steps don't take too long. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a good start. ;) I hope the tips help! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aw no problem! I'm glad you found the tips helpful! :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, it's never occurred to me to try it over colors other than black and maybe brown. Silver seems like it would be an interesting base. I'll definitely try experimenting with different base colors! Thanks for the idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks AMAZING!!! I love the glitter and shimmer in it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great post you got this looking incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love what you did with this I am absolutely going to try ASAP.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for the tip on how to get the larger pieces of glitter to come up to the top. I will try that next. Like you, I almost passed on it until the 2 shop clerks at Sally's were going nuts over this one. They 'made' me get 2 bottles!!! I like it but doubt with the big bottles I will ever get through 2 bottles of it! This year I am NOT buying a bunch of back up bottles like I did last year. I got into a bad habit of doing that when OPI had such a smash with those 2 great shades from their Alice collection that went almost immediately to HTF and double the price. This year's resolution - only 1 bottle per shade!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous! I love how you applied it! I might have to get it now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous! I love your idea! Maybe its time for me to get my hands on some of these.. :D

    ReplyDelete
  20. Dawne of the DeadMay 1, 2012 at 7:36 PM

    Just bought my first bottle today. Very lucky to have come across this before I tried it out. Turning bottle upside down presently! Thanks for taking the time out to explain the process. Yours look gorgeous, btw!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! Please do not leave any links or inappropriate comments, as they will be deleted. Otherwise, I appreciate and read every single comment, so please don't be shy! :)